Article 9 : statutory holidays
9.1 In addition to vacation pay, the following statutory holidays will be granted:
- Canada Day
- Labour Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day (day after Christmas)
- New Year's Day
- Day after New Year's Day
- Family Day
- Good Friday
- Queen's Birthday
- Easter Monday
- Civic Holiday (1st Monday in August)
9.2 All statutory holidays listed in Article 9.1 shall be paid holidays, provided however that the employee has worked on his scheduled shift immediately preceding and his scheduled shift immediately following such holidays. In addition to those holidays, listed in Article 9.1, the second half of the regular scheduled working shift proceeding before Christmas and before New Year’s Day will be considered as holidays for Operating Engineers working on shift, and provided the employee has worked the first part of his regular scheduled shift.
In the case of Maintenance Operating Engineers, one half (½) day before Christmas and before New Year will be considered as statutory holidays, provided the employee concerned has worked the first part of his scheduled work day. If an employee takes his annual vacation during the Christmas and New Year's period, he shall be given four (4) hours off the last day worked.
The hourly equivalent of the basic statutory holiday premium, i.e., eight (8) hours, shall be calculated by multiplying the basic hourly rate by 96 hours (8* 12 statutory holidays), and by dividing it by 1669.71 hours. This equivalent is added to the regular wages of eligible employee under this article and becomes pensionable.
9.3 Should a statutory holiday occur on a Saturday or Sunday, the weekend premium will apply as well as the paid holiday premium.
9.4 Employees who, according to the schedule of the Operations Division, work on one of the statutory holidays given under Article 9.1 shall have the following options:
- be paid time and a half (1. ½) the regular hourly rate for the number of hours worked and shall also receive eight (8) hour pay for a weekday and twelve (12) hour pay for a Saturday or a Sunday at the rate set for his job classification;
- accumulate time off in lieu of pay without regards to the maximum number of hours appearing in 7.6. See Article 7.6 for the method of payment.
- Employees normally scheduled to work on shift:
Should a statutory holiday fall on an employee's regular day off or during his vacation period, he shall receive one (1) regular day's pay, i.e. eight (8) hour pay, for the statutory holiday, at his regular hourly rate, provided that he has worked on the day which immediately precedes and immediately follows said statutory holiday in the case of a regular day off, and provided that he has worked during the week of work which immediately precedes and immediately follows the statutory holiday for cases where a statutory holiday falls during his annual vacation leave.
- Employees engaged in maintenance work:
- Should a statutory holiday fall on an employee's normal day off scheduled for Mondays and Fridays, the employee will have the option of taking his normal day off on his scheduled work day immediately preceding or immediately following the statutory holiday.
- Any employee engaged in maintenance work who is required to work on any holiday listed in Article 9.1 shall be paid for the number of hours he/she has worked at the rate of time and one half (1 1/2) the regular hourly rate in addition to an amount equal to one (1) regular work day pay at the rate of the job classification.
- Any employee engaged in the operation division work who is required to work on any day listed in article 9.1 when he was deemed to be on leave, shall be paid four (4) hours more than his rate of pay if the shift is split between two (2) employees, or eight (8) hours more than his rate of pay if the shift is assigned to only one person. If the statutory holiday falls during the week-end, the number of available hours will be twelve (12) for one employee and six (6) hours for two employees.
9.6 In addition to the statutory holidays herein before referred to, every employee will be entitled to three (3) floating holidays with pay, as long as he/she has received proper authorization from his/her Division Head at least forty-eight (48) hours before the day of the holiday.