Article 10 : seniority
10.1 Employees retain and accumulate seniority in the following cases:
- in the case of an absence from work due to an accident or occupational disease of less than twenty-four (24) months;
- in the case of any absence due to disability not exceeding 119 calendar days of sick leave;
- assignment in a position excluded from the Bargaining Unit to a maximum of twelve (12) consecutive months;
- in the case of absences from work for permanent or elected union duties within the Union, to a maximum of twenty-four (24) consecutive calendar months;
- in the case of absence from work for maternity or parental leave, for the total duration of the leave.
10.2 Employees retain but do not accumulate seniority in the following cases:
- in the case of any absence due to long-term disability lasting more than 119 days which has been accepted by the insurer and for which the employee receives benefits;
- in the case of leave without pay to a maximum of twelve (12) calendar months that has been approved by the University;
- in the case of a suspension without pay exceeding thirty (30) days.
10.3 Employees lose their seniority and their services at the University will be ended in the following cases:
- discharged for cause, including any of the causes listed in Article 13 of this Agreement;
- resignation or voluntary leaving of their regular position at the University;
- absence due to disability after the twenty-fourth (24) month of extended disability leave;
- if the employee is laid off, he retains his seniority for purposes of recalls under Article 11.7 for a period of twenty-four (24) months;
- in the case of absence without notice and without reasonable excuse exceeding five (5) consecutive workdays.
10.4 When more than one (1) employee has the same seniority, the University holds a lottery in the presence of the employee concerned and a union delegate to determine their order of seniority, whenever necessary.