Article 19 : leave of absence without pay
19.1 The term leave without pay" refers to an authorized leave during which employees do not receive their salary.
19.2 During a leave without pay, the employee's position must be kept available, even when a replacement is hired.
19.3 To authorize a leave without pay, the following criteria must be considered:
- the reason for the leave
- the duration of the leave;
- the employee's seniority
- the projected length of service after the return to work;
- the possibilities of obtaining, on a temporary basis, a competent replacement;
- the employee's performance.
Human Resources Service is at the disposal of the Director for consultation.
19.4 Employees who take a leave without pay may continue to take part in the University's pension plan and all its insurance plans.
The employee must therefore agree in writing, before their departure, to pay the total amount of these benefits, i.e. the contribution of the University and that of the employee for both the insurance premiums and the University's pension plan.
Human Resources Service will advise the employee of the amount required to maintain participation in the various benefit plans. This amount is based on the employee's salary at the time of departure.
19.5 The Director may grant a leave without pay for a period not in excess for one year. A leave without pay for a period in excess of one year requires the approval of the Administrative Committee. Any period of leave without pay more than one month will be subtracted from the seniority date.
19.6 An employee may be granted leaves of absence without pay less than 30 days for personal reasons as long as the permission of the Head of Power Plant is first asked and obtained. Such leaves will not be unreasonably denied, providing that:
- if the leave of absence necessitates a change of schedule under Article 7.3 (3), it may not be granted unless another employee accepts to replace the employee concerned on a mutual relief basis under Article 7.4.
- if the leave of absence does not necessitate a change of schedule under Article 7.3 (3), it may be granted only if another employee of the Power Plant Division is available to replace the employee concerned during his leave of absence.
- If such a leave of absence necessitates overtime pay for the replacing employee or necessitates the hiring of an additional employee, it may not be granted.
A maximum of three (3) employees within the Operations Division will be allowed on leave (vacation, floating holidays, and scheduled days off for statutory holidays worked) at any given time during the normal vacation year.
19.7 Any employee who does not report for duty shall be considered as being absent without leave, unless he shall previously have received permission from the Division Head of the division concerned.
19.8 Any employee covered by the Agreement who is elected to an executive office of the Union shall receive every consideration of the University to make it possible for him to attend Union meetings or conventions. An employee who is elected or appointed to an official position within the Union shall be granted, upon written request, leave of absence without pay for a period not exceeding twenty-four (24) months and maintain full seniority rights. Not more than one (1) employee shall be on such leave at any one time.