My InfoUnionized student staff with teaching or research functions

Parental leave

You are entitled to parental leave following the birth of a child, or upon welcoming a child for the first time into your custody. Parental leave is available to both parents, including parents who adopt a child and individuals who are in a permanent relationship with a parent of a child and who intend to adopt and treat the child as their own.

After you have completed 13 weeks of service at the University, you are eligible for up to 63 weeks of parental leave. However, if you take maternity leave, you are eligible for up to 61 weeks of parental leave, which must begin immediately following your maternity leave. If you do not take maternity leave, parental leave may begin no more than 78 weeks after the day the child is born or comes into your custody and care for the first time.

If your parental leave ends within the period of your existing contract, you will return to your previous position or will be provided with similar work at the same rate of pay for the remainder of your appointment. If you return after your contract has terminated, you will be eligible to apply for positions in the following semester.

Parental leave is consider leave without pay; however, you may apply for and collect Employment Insurance benefits during your leave.

While on parental leave, you can choose to participate in the group insurance benefits by continuing to pay your required contributions.

Notifying the University

You must notify your department/faculty in writing at least one month before the start of your parental leave.

At that point, your department/faculty notifies Human Resources, which provides you with information and assistance in planning your leave.

Additional information

Record of Employment – A Record of Employment is created and submitted to Service Canada up to five calendar days after the end of the pay period in which the leave begins. Based on your province of residence, you must apply for Employment Insurance or Quebec Parental Insurance Plan benefits and provide the University with proof of receipt of Employment Insurance or Quebec Parental Insurance Plan benefits.