Family caregiver leave
Family caregiver leave is unpaid, job-protected leave of up to eight weeks per calendar year per specified family member.
Family caregiver leave may be taken to provide care or support to certain family members for whom a qualified health practitioner has issued a certificate stating that he or she has a serious medical condition.
Care or support includes, but is not limited to: providing psychological or emotional support; arranging for care by a third-party provider; or directly providing or participating in the care of the family member.
- The employee’s spouse (including same-sex spouse)
- A parent, step-parent or foster parent of the employee or the employee’s spouse
- A child, step-child or foster child of the employee or the employee’s spouse
- A grandparent or step-grandparent of the employee or the employee’s spouse
- A grandchild or step-grandchild of the employee or the employee’s spouse
- A spouse of a child of the employee
- A brother or sister of the employee
- A relative of the employee who is dependent on the employee for care or assistance
The specified family members do not have to live in Ontario for the employee to be eligible for family caregiver leave.
The eight weeks of leave may be consecutive or separated.
The University may ask the employee to provide a medical notification; forward it to Human Resources as soon as possible.
For more information, please visit the Family Caregiver Leave web page of the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
Leave Management System
You must enter your leave in the FAST leave management system (on-campus access only) prior to your leave or if this is not possible, immediately upon your return to work.