My InfoRegular non-unionized staff in a management position (NM)

Workplace accident leave

When you are involved in a workplace accident while performing the duties of your job or when you develop an occupational illness, you are covered under the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA).

In case of injury or illness at work:

  • Seek medical care as soon as possible and report any injury or occupational illness to your supervisor or his or her delegate.
  • Complete an Accident, Incident or Occupational Disease Form with your supervisor and submit it to the Health and Wellness sector of Human Resources within 24 hours of the accident or onset of the occupational illness.
  • Ask your attending physician to complete a Functional Abilities Form (FAF) or a Form 8 for an early and safe return to work if you are absent from work, and submit it to Health and Wellness.

Health and Wellness advises the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) in writing no later than 72 hours after becoming aware of an accident or the onset of an occupational illness.

Benefits while absent from work

When a claim has been filed with the WSIB, the University pays 119 days of full salary. After that, you receive cheques directly from the WSIB for 85% of your net average earnings (gross salary less employment insurance, CPP and tax).

When you are no longer receiving your full salary, you are also responsible for paying the portion of the benefit premiums you wish to maintain while absent from work. Make your monthly payment arrangements through HRInfo.

While you are absent from work, the University continues to pay the employer’s portion of each benefit you are maintaining, as per the WSIA.

Should your claim be denied for lost time by the WSIB, any lost time is recorded as sick leave. If it is expected that you will be off for more than 119 days, you will receive a long-term disability form, if applicable.

Leave Management System

When you return to work, you must enter your leave in the FAST leave management system (on-campus access only).