Basic dental insurance
The Basic Dental Insurance Plan reimburses 80% of the cost of eligible dental procedures.
Examples of dental procedures that qualify for reimbursement:
- Check-ups (every six months) and complete oral examinations
- Extractions and root canals
- Some X-rays
- Preventive treatments
Reimbursement is based on the cost of services as set out by the Ontario Dental Association suggested fee guide in effect for the year previous to the treatment.
The University pays 100% of the premiums.
- A permanent employee
- regardless of age
You can select either individual or family coverage. Family coverage includes your eligible Spouse and/or Dependent child.
During the re-enrolment period, you may choose to opt out of the Basic Dental Insurance Plan.
If you opt out, you can opt back in at the next re-enrolment period. To opt back in before the next re-enrolment period, you must:
- experience an eligible life event.
When you opt out, you receive 288 benefit dollars each year in your Health Care Spending Account.
The Basic Dental Insurance Plan reimburses 80% of the following eligible expenses with no maximum.
Reimbursement is based on the Ontario Dental Association Fee Guide for General Practitioners for the year immediately preceding, and on the least expensive treatment that will yield professionally adequate results.
- Complete oral examinations (once every 36 months), recall examinations ( twice per calendar year), and emergency examinations and treatments,
- Bitewing x-rays ( twice per calendar year), and full-mouth x-rays (once every 36 months),
- Routine diagnostic and laboratory procedures,
- Preventive treatments including: cleaning, discing, scaling, polishing, and topical application of fluoride ( twice per calendar year for each treatment listed),
- Oral hygiene instruction (once in any one calendar year),
- Space maintainers and habit-breaking appliances,
- Consultations required by the attending dentist,
- Dental surgery including: general anaesthesia, related diagnostic x-rays, and laboratory procedures,
- Endodontic services (root canal therapy),
- Periodontic services (treatment of gums and bones supporting the teeth),
- Retentive pins and amalgam, silicate, acrylic, or composite fillings, including tooth-coloured restorations on permanent anterior teeth only, and
- Denture repairs, relining or rebasing (once every 36 months).
To initiate a claim or modify your policy, log into the Canada Life Secure Site - You will then need the following information:
- Your contract number, which is 177714
- Your certificate number, which is your 9 digit uOttawa employee number, and
- Your password (if you do not have a password, you must first sign up online)
- Via the Canada Life website or
- By phoning the Canada Life customer service hotline at 1-833-794-0225
If you encounter any problems or issues, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-562-5832