Group insurance coverage for retired members
Premiums, paid by the University, represent a taxable income.
The transfer service to the pension plan do not count for the recognition of the date of hire.
Coverage is as follows:
• Hired after June 30, 1976
- If, at retirement time, you had 10 years of service or less: $2,000
- If, at retirement time, you had more than 10 years of service: 10% of your salary at pension time with a minimum of $2,000 and a maximum of $5,000
• Hired between May 1, 1971 and July 1, 1976
2.5% of the salary at pension time per years of service (maximum 20 years); minimum coverage of $2,000 and maximum coverage of $100,000
• Hired before May 1, 1971
50% of the salary at pension time; maximum coverage is $100,000
You pay the premiums to our present Insurance provider.
- Private or semi-private hospital room coverage – Contract number 177714
- Extended Health Insurance (until you reach 65) – Contract number 177714
- Dental Insurance (until your reach 65) - Contract number 177714
After 65 years of age, in addition to your provincial coverage, you can choose to participate to a group or individual health plan through an organization or with an insurance company such as:
- Retired Teachers of Ontario
- Municipal Retirees Organization Ontario, MROO
- Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan (OTIP)
- Plan Direct
The University of Ottawa is not administrating these programs and is not responsible for any changes done by the above service providers.